Monday, March 25, 2013

Workout with me this week!

Each week, I put together a workout schedule to help myself stay on target. I always find that when I get to the gym without a plan, I'm less focused and driven. So this helps me get in with a goal and get out feeling amazing and physically accomplished. :)

I'm sharing my week's worth of workouts so that you can see an example of what I do at the gym. You can try out my workout or gain some inspiration and make your own. 

On some days, I like to take classes at my gym. I try to vary things a lot, so the amount of classes I attend changes. Sometimes I stay on my own personalized plan, so maybe I won't do any classes at all. It's really up to you. If you find a class that really makes you sweat and is challenging, try it for a bit. My biggest suggestion, however, is to always alternate your workouts, because as soon as your body acclimates to a certain series of exercises, you will see less change/improvement. 

So here it is! ENJOY!

MONDAY

Cardio: 30 - 35 minutes
*Be sure to include intervals in all of your cardiovascular training. For example, when I'm on the elliptical, I'll work at a moderately fast pace for 1 minute, then work at a fast and challenging pace for the next minute. I continue to alternate for the full duration of my cardio.

You can change it up depending on what intervals you'd like (ex: you could alternate every 2 minutes), but intervals are always best because it prevents your body from adapting to an exercise. When you mix up the routine, your body must constantly work hard. Learn more HERE.
  • 10 minutes elliptical
  • 10 minutes interval run
    • What I mean by "interval run" is that you should either walk fast or slow jog (between 3.5 and 5.5 on a treadmill) for 1 minute followed by a minute of intense sprinting (usually between 8 or 9 on a treadmill). 
  • 10 – 15 minutes Stairmaster
Strength: 15 – 30 minutes
Click HERE for a demonstration of these exercises.
  • Deadlift – curl – sidekick (1 minute or 16 to 20 reps)
  • Switch lunge and pushup (1 minute or 9 to 10 reps)
  • Side jumps with toe touch (1 minute)
  •  Step-overs (1 minute)
  • Super Girl pushups (1 minute or 15 to 20 reps)
  • Repeat 2 to 3 times
Abs: 5 - 10 minutes
  • Ball between ankles, reverse crunch (1 minute or 12 to 15 reps)
  • 50 crunches, any style you'd like
  • Repeat 2 to 3 times


TUESDAY

Xsport Cycle class (60 minutes)
 

WEDNESDAY

 Cardio: 35 minutes
*Don't forget to do intervals!
  • 10 minutes elliptical
  • 10 minutes interval run
  • 10 – 15 minutes Stairmaster
Strength: 15 – 25 minutes
Click HERE for a demonstration of these exercises
  • Cross leg pushups (30 seconds or 12 - 16 reps)
  • Surfers (30 seconds or 25 – 30 reps)
  • On all fours, heel raise (30 reps each leg)
  • Jump forward Jump Back Squat (30 seconds or 20 – 25 reps)
  • 1-leg Bridge (30 seconds or 13 reps each side)
  • Repeat 2 – 3 times 
Abs: 10 - 15 minutes
  • Side V-Crunch/Sit-up with twist (30 seconds or 15 – 20)
  • 50 crunches, any style you'd like
  • 30 reverse crunches
  • 1-minute plank
  • Repeat 2 - 3 times


THURSDAY

Cardio & Abs: 65 - 75 minutes
*Don't forget to do intervals!
  • 20 minute jog
  • 10 minute elliptical
  • 20 minute Stairmaster
  • 7 p.m. Xsport Ultimate ABS (15 minutes)
  • 10 minute elliptical (optional)

FRIDAY

Xsport Nike Training Club (60 minutes)


SATURDAY

 Cardio: 25 - 30 minutes
*Don't forget to do intervals!
  • 10 minutes interval run
  • 15 – 20 minutes Stairmaster
Strength: 15 - 25 minutes
Click HERE for a demonstration of these exercises.
  • Back Lunge Curl Press (30 seconds or 10 – 12 reps)
  • Speed Skaters (30 seconds or 16 reps)
  • Sumo Twist (30 seconds or 10 reps)
  • Push Up Open Up (30 seconds or 10 reps)
  • Chest Press with Tricep Dip (30 seconds or 10 reps)
  • Row Planks (8 – 10 each side)
  • Military Plank (15 – 20 reps)
  • Repeat 2 – 3 times
Cardio: 10 minutes
  • 10 minutes elliptical


SUNDAY

YOGA day!

I like to stay home on Sundays and relax. So I'll hop on my computer and find a yoga video to do at home. Sometimes the videos I find on YouTube are quite short, so I'll do a few different ones. I really like the Jillian Michaels yoga videos, because they're always the hardest. :)

Well, I hope you'll enjoy my fitness plan and - as always - don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions!

- Brittany

~ Life in the Fit Lane ~

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete