Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Workout

I realized that my first three posts were quite heavy in discussing this yummy green diet, so now it's time to talk about the key to all of this fitness... the workout!

Because our diet is utterly carb-free, exercise is essential in order to get those sought-after results. When you limit your carb intake in this way (the energy source that the body prefers), this will force your body to burn your fat cells in order to function.

Tip concerning vitamins: Fitness Trainer Kay Yasin requests that all of the women participating in the LIFFT Booty Camp Challenge consume a multivitamin daily in addition to 1000 mg of fish oil in the morning and another 1000 mg of fish oil in the evening. The fish oil helps to ensure that the body does indeed target the stored fat instead of your muscle tissue. So go get that fishy oil! Both the multivitamin and the fish oil can be found at almost any convenience story, such as CVS or Walgreens. I got mine at my beloved Target. :)

The Workout:

As I mentioned, I meet with Fitness Trainer Kay Yasin three times a week to train with her and the other LIFFT Booty Camp women. I've learned so much from her so far about the importance of muscle confusion (blending spurts of cardio with strength training and calisthenics) and I could see the results as early as 3 days into my new fitness regime.

I'll give you an example of the workout we did on Saturday morning at 31st Street Beach (which was so fun!). Check it out:

7:30 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. Warmup with a beach volleyball circle! And remember to keep your feet constantly moving (by jogging in place or doing squats, for example), even when you're not bumping the ball into the air. Every few minutes, we would get into a pushup position in the sand and do 30 seconds of mountain climbers followed by 5-10 pushups. Then we'd bounce back up and keep playing!

7:45 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. Here comes the strength training! I'll try to remember what we did as best as I can so that you can all try it at home.

  • Walking lunges for a distance of about 6 car-lengths (that was the easiest standard of measurement I could think of that everyone could visualize). 
  • Side shuffle back to the start
  • Repeat walking lunges and side shuffle back again
  • 10 jump squats into a burpee

    • Don't know what a burpee is? Check out the video above! You don't have to do the pushup in the down position, but you totally can if you want the extra challenge! :) 
  • High-kicks for a distance of 6 car-lengths. Basically, simply kick out in front of you as high as you can go (feet flexed or pointed) until you get to the other side. This is a great thigh-thinning move! 
  • Shuffle back and repeat
  • 10 jump squats into a burpee
  • Mountain climbers for 30 seconds
  • Hold a plank for 30 seconds
  • Walking lunges again followed by a side shuffle back to where you started
  • Repeat
  • Buddy pushups: Now this may seem hard, but it is the ultimate challenge! And you can do it! Get down into a pushup position. If you have a friend with you, have them get into a pushup-plank position with their hands resting on your back. I know, this sounds a little confusing to envision. That's why I had my best friend, Melly Corzo, help me demonstrate. Check out the photo below and please excuse our pajama attire. :)

Now... I know this seems really hard. But in the spirit of the Olympics, imagine that you're an Olympian and accomplishing 5 push-ups in this position means the difference between silver and gold. You can do it!

8:15 - 8:35 a.m. After we did this workout in the sand, we went up to the concrete track and ran sprints. We each did 6 sprint runs for about 8 car-lengths, resting for up to 1-2 minutes in between. 

And you're done!

Two-a-days for the first week

Kay suggested that, in order to really support and speed the weight-loss process, we should work out twice a day for every other day. This is how I broke my week down: 

Monday: one workout
Tuesday: two workouts
Wednesday: two workouts
Thursday: two workouts
Friday: one workout
Saturday: one workout
Sunday: two workouts

I did mine a little differently based on my schedule for that week, but you get the picture. Just try and find a balance, listen to your body and keep pushing yourself. 

When I workout once a day, I make sure it's for at least 45 minutes to an hour, so I can really burn some major calories and build up muscle. I really enjoy doing 10-15 minute intervals on the stair-master, hopping off and doing squats, lunges, pushups, sit-ups, etc, and then jumping back on for another 10-15 minutes. 

When I workout twice a day, I'll usually get up early before work and do cardio for 25 - 35 minutes in the morning, just to give my metabolism a start. Then in the evening, I'll take a boxing class at LA Boxing, do more cardio/strength training or take it easy with some yoga or pilates. 

But again, it's so important to keep experimenting and really discover what works for you.


And when I get tired or don't feel like working out, this is what I've always told myself...

What's an hour of pain for a lifetime of fitness?


Now, I do frown upon considering exercise "pain," because I love being active. But you know what I mean... it's easy to let ourselves get too comfortable in a repetitive, low-intensity elliptical workout. You have to push yourself to the limit, push yourself sometimes until it hurts, to achieve the body you've always wanted. I love doing that, because I love being surprised by how strong I am and how far I can take it. Now go out and surprise yourself, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment