Thursday, August 2, 2012

First three days on "The Diet"

I am mighty proud of myself! Three days on this essentially green/lean-meat diet and I haven't broken yet! Check out my lunch from yesterday. You'll notice cucumber, onions, green pepper, one 2 oz package of turkey, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and the slightest dash of olive oil. And it was actually really tasty! I'm definitely getting better at this.

I thought it might be useful for those of you at home who are considering doing this diet with me   if I talked about my experience with each day during this "Week 1" phase.

Day 1: 

I think the major battle that I faced this day was the fact that I just didn't know where to get any food! I had a busy day with Windy City Live! that morning and then I had to go straight to work. I stopped by a 7/11 to see if they had any straight vegetables I could pick up or maybe just some turkey, but there was nothing! I ended up just grabbing a small plain salad and a lemon and that became lunch... I wasn't too thrilled, needless to say.

But once I got home, I was able to stop by my local grocery store and pick up the following items:

  • A large mix of fresh lettuce
  • Baby spinach
  • Green peppers
  • Regular-sized cucumbers (to chop for salads) and mini cucumbers (for snacking)
  • Red onions
  • 2 oz individual packages of turkey
  • Canned sweet peas (I got the Del Monte "No Salt Added," however, fresh is always best)
  • Canned french cut style green beans (Del Monte)
  • White canned tuna
  • Tilapia
  • Catfish
  • Turkey sausage
  • Egg whites (You can also get regular eggs and boil them, just don't eat the yolks)
  • Lemons
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Oil
  • Mustard

I will say, this is one of the sparsest grocery lists, but I'm not a very good cook, so I didn't mess much with any exotic vegetables or spices, but that doesn't mean you can't! As long as you adhere to the guidelines of the diet for the first week, you'll be great.

Tip: Kay told myself, as well as the 6 other women in the bootcamp, to always carry our food with us. I've found that this really does need to happen, considering there are so few "on the corner" stores that have anything I can eat. So get yourself a lunch bag and get ready to shed the pounds!

And I'd also like to add that if you have any tips for me, please comment! I need all the suggestions I can get!


Day 2: 

Thank goodness for my grocery trip! After my experimental first day, I got into a better regiment by Day 2. Here is what I ate:


Breakfast:

  • Egg whites (6 tablespoons, 50 calories) with green pepper and onion mixed in (24 calories)
  • Small salad with lemon juice (25 calories)
Snack
  • 3 cups of raw green beans (nice and crunchy!) (102 calories)

Lunch
  • Honey Roasted Turkey 2 oz package (90 calories)
  • Salad with onion, green pepper, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice & 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (138 calories)
Snack
  • Half a cup of sweet peas (60 calories) and 2 cups of cooked green beans (80 calories)
Dinner
  • Salad with baked tilapia (2 oz), red onion, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (211 calories)
I did my best trying to count the calories, give or take some. I looked over what I ate for the day and realized that it only added up to about 780 calories

I'm glad I recorded what I ate, because this calorie total is quite low for the amount of calories I'm supposed to be consuming. In order to calculate what calories we need for this first week, take your goal weight and multiply it by 10. Then subtract 250. 

My goal weight is 130 and I am currently 145. Therefore, I should be consuming 1,050 calories per day. 

Tip: Keep drinking water all day long! It really helps to keep you feeling full. 


Day 3: 

Today was the hardest of them all! I think it was because I was getting a little bored with the food I was eating. Plus, I was one day away from the halfway point, which is Thursday. But I persevered and came out on top!

Breakfast
  • 2 turkey sausage patties (2 oz) (80 calories)
  • 1 small sweet potato (Wednesday's treat!) (110 calories)
Snack
  • 3 mini cucumbers (31 calories)
  • 2/3 cup sweet peas (80 calories)
Lunch
  • Honey Roasted Turkey 2 oz package (90 calories)
  • Salad with onion, green pepper, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice & 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (138 calories)
  • Same as yesterday, I know, but it was just so good!
Snack
  • 1 can french cut green beans (70 calories)
  • 2/3 cup sweet peas (80 calories)
Dinner
  • Salad with baked tilapia (2 oz), red onion, celery, cucumber, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (239 calories)
Well, I'm almost there! I had a total of 918 calories on Day 3. Not too shabby! 

Tip: Make sure you take vitamins! Your body isn't used to skipping out on so many of the food groups, so you need to make sure you're keeping yourself strong and healthy. 

Don't forget exercise!

I am currently exercising twice a day (once in the morning and once during the afternoon/evening) in order to really target those fat cells! After all... if you are not consuming any carbs at all really, then your body will only have fat cells to burn for energy. Kay explained that this is perfectly healthy, as long as we are continuing to keep our body sustained with the veges, protein and additional vitamin supplements. 

Tip: Don't worry so much about weight-lifting right now... that will come next week after we've shed a bit of weight. Then we will start to sculpt and tone. Right now, do a mix of good cardio and calisthenics. Interval training is great, as well. 

Kay gave this neat tip I'd like you to try: for 20 minutes, jog at a general pace for 20 seconds and then sprint for 20 seconds. This is a serious calorie blast, even more than a moderately paced jog.

I know it seems quite intense to exercise so much when you're not refueling as much, but trust me... we're breaking the body down first and then we will rebuild on Monday. You will see carbs again! :)

The most important point of all: I've had several friends gasp after I told them of my rigorous diet plan, but I'd like to point out that this is not meant to be a life-long diet. We are sticking to this green/lean-meat plan for a mere single week in order to "detox," in a sense. So if you have the will to stick to it for 7 days, then by Week 2 we will adhere to a more complex diet and begin even more intense muscle-building. 

You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment